1 surprising greatly; "she does an amazing amount of work"; "the dog was capable of astonishing tricks" [syn: astonishing]
2 inspiring awe or admiration or wonder; "New York is an amazing city"; "the Grand Canyon is an awe-inspiring sight"; "the awesome complexity of the universe"; "this sea, whose gently awful stirrings seem to speak of some hidden soul beneath"- Melville; "Westminster Hall's awing majesty, so vast, so high, so silent" [syn: awe-inspiring, awesome, awful, awing]
- Rhymes: -eɪzɪŋ
- Bulgarian: удивителен
- Czech: úžasný
- Finnish: hämmästyttävä
- French: étonnant
- German: erstaunlich, unglaublich
- Russian: изумительный
- Action when something is causing wonder
- 1848, John Bunyan and Robert Philip, The Greatness of the Soul:
And the Unspeakableness of the Loss Thereof, page 29, T. Nelson
- How many things have men found out to the amazing of one another, to the wonderment of one another, to the begetting of endless commendations of one another in the world
- 1909, John Fryer and William Crooke, A New Account of East
India and Persia: Being Nine Years' Travels, 1672-1681, page 92,
- Fancies to be persuaded of the confused Articulation of Multitudes met as in a Fair, conversing and making a chattering, to the amazing of them all.
- 1996 August 5, Tim Behrendsen, "Tim Behrendsen Lost and Spaced
THE FINAL TRY", rec.games.computer.quake.misc, Usenet
- Amazing is judged relative what already exists, and Quake has the best underwater effects so far.
- 1997 November 30, Sir Frederick, "Pro-Mormons are amazing
also", alt.religion.mormon.fellowship, Usenet
- Reality, especially God's Reality is amazing. For instance that there is something rather than nothing is amazing. [...] Amazing is amazing.
- 1999 July 13, Irma Dobkin and Mary Jo Peterson, Gracious
Spaces, page xix, McGraw-Hill Professional
- The amazing is happening.
- 2000 March 24, "Shadow", "Return of the Fulgore Rant!",
- All that is impossibly amazing is considered nothing, and the impossibly amazing is considered normal.
- 2001 February 3, Brian, "D3 weird FPS", alt.games.descent
- The amazing is that, in EXACTLY the same situation, the demo2 doesn't show this problem.
- 2003 June 23, Thomas Bernhard, Three Novellas, page 31,
University of Chicago Press
- Everything that amazes has its method, until we notice that the amazing is not amazing, has no method.
- 2004 October 23, MgClearwater, "George says: Joe and Brian
stay..", alt.sports.baseball.ny-yankees, Usenet
- Sheffield is an amazing athlete, how much of the amazing is provided from the Chemlab.
- 2006 May 16, Simon Baird, "monkeyGTD is amazing- a few
questions and suggestions", GTD TiddlyWiki, Google goups
- Cool! Of course 99% of the amazing is due to the "powered by TiddlyWiki" part of MonkeyGTD.. :)
- Finnish: hämmästyttäminen
- present participle of amaze
Amazing or Amazin may refer to:
- "Amazing" (Aerosmith song)
- "Amazing" (High and Mighty Color song)
- "Amazing" (George Michael song)
- "Amazing" (Madonna song)
- "Amazing" (Westlife song)
- "Amazing" (Alex Lloyd song)
- "Amazing" (Seal song)
- A*mazing, an Australian children's television game show that aired in the mid to late 1990s
- Amazing, a maze computer game bundled with the original Apple Computer's Macintosh
- "Amazing," a song by Andy Hunter° from his album Cathedral of Sound
- "Amazin'," a song by LL Cool J from his 2002 album 10